A weight loss goal of 1-2 lbs per week is safe for most people. You can achieve sustainable weight loss by cutting carbs, increasing your protein intake, lifting weights and getting more rest.
While weight loss may not be the solution to all your health problems, it is something that doctors recommend. There are some tips you can use to lose weight safely. A steady weight loss of 1 to 2% per week is recommended for long-term success.
However, many diets to lose weight can leave you hungry and unsatisfied. They also cut out important food groups, making it difficult to stick with them. These are the main reasons you may struggle to adhere to a healthier eating program.
Every person has different needs. Different eating styles and tips might work better for them than others.
Losing weight with a low-carb diet or a diet focusing on whole foods is possible. However, some principles can help you lose weight.
These science-backed tips will help you lose weight. They include healthy eating and choosing the right carbs.
- You can reduce your appetite while still feeling full.
- Over time, achieve consistent weight loss
- You can also improve your metabolic health.
These tips can help you lose weight fast but are not sustainable. Focus on your long-term health will make you more likely to lose weight.
Reduce refined carb intakeCutting down on sugar, starches, and carbohydrates is one way to lose weight quickly. You can do this by following a low-carb eating plan or replacing refined carbohydrates with whole grains.
This reduces your appetite and makes you eat fewer calories
Low-carb eating plans will allow you to burn stored fat instead of carbs.
Eating whole grains and calorie surplus can digest complex carbs more slowly. They are also more filling, which will keep you satisfied.
A 2020 study found that older people can lose weight by eating very low-carbohydrate foods.
Research suggests that low-carb diets may help reduce appetite
The long-term effects and risks of low-carb diets are still being studied. Low-carb diets can be hard to follow and may result in yo-yo dieting or less success in maintaining a healthy weight.
Potential disadvantages to low-carb diets could lead to you switching to another method. Weight loss can also be achieved by consuming fewer calories and being more consistent over time.
A 2019 study found that a diet focusing on whole grains is more beneficial than one focusing on refined carbs.
Consult your doctor to determine the best way to lose weight.
Reduced intake of refined carbohydrates can help curb your appetite, lower insulin levels, and help with weight loss.
However, the long-term effects of a low-carb diet on the body have yet to be discovered. It could be more long-lasting to eat a lower-calorie diet.
- Consume protein, fat, as well as vegetables.
Try to have a variety of food at every meal. Your meals should contain the following:
- a protein source
- fat Source
- A small amount of complex carbohydrates such as whole grains is okay
Check out this video to see how you can put together your meals.
- This low-carb meal plan
- this lower calorie meal plan
- These 101 low-carb recipes and low-calorie foods are just a few healthy recipes.
Eat the recommended protein to maintain your health and lose weight.
Evidence suggests that adequate protein intake may reduce cardiometabolic risk factors, appetite and body weight.
The average person needs 56-91 grams of protein daily, while the average woman needs 46-75 grams. However, many factors can influence your protein requirements. These guidelines will help you determine how many calories you should eat
- 0.8g/kg body weight
- For people 65 years and older, 1-1.2g/kg body weight
- Athletes should be able to lift 1.4-2g/kg.
A protein-rich diet can help reduce snacking and cravings by satisfying you.
These are healthy protein sources:
- meat: chicken, beef, pork, and lamb
- seafood and fish: salmon and trout, sardines and shrimp
- Plant-Based Proteins: Beans, Legumes, Quinoa, Tempeh, and Tofu
Do not be afraid to eat leafy green veggies. These vegetables are full of nutrients and can be eaten in large quantities without consuming many calories or carbs.
All vegetables are healthy and nutrient-rich. However, some vegetables like sweet potatoes, winter squash and potatoes have higher carbohydrate content.
These vegetables are complex carbohydrates as they contain fiber. However, consider how many of these vegetables you add to your meal.
Get more vegetables
- Brussels sprouts
- Swiss chard
Do not be afraid to eat fats.
No matter what type of eating plan you choose, your body still needs healthy oils. Avocado and olive oil are excellent choices to include in your diet. Avocados, nuts, seeds, olives and olive oil are healthy options.
Butter and coconut oil are not recommended for consumption due to their higher saturated fat content ( 12Trusted Source).
Each meal should contain a protein source, a healthy oil source, complex carbohydrates, and vegetables.
The best way to bulk up your meal is with leafy green vegetables. They are low in calories and high in nutrients.
- Move your body
While exercise is unnecessary to lose weight quickly, it can be great. There are many benefits to lifting weights.
Lifting weights will help you burn calories and prevent your metabolism from slowing.
Strength training should be done three to four times per week. A trainer can assist you if you are new to lifting heavy weights. Be sure to inform your doctor about any new exercise plans.
If weight lifting is impossible, you can lose weight and improve your health by doing cardio exercises such as running, walking, biking, running, cycling, or swimming.
Cardio and weightlifting can help you lose weight and provide many other health benefits.
Weightlifting is an excellent option to lose weight. Cardio workouts can also be effective if that is not possible.
You can choose what is sustainable for you.
What is the best way to control calories and portion size?
A low-carb eating plan is optional so long as your carb intake is low and you eat mainly protein, fat, or low-carb vegetables.
You may be unable to lose weight if you keep track of your calories.
To lose weight, stick to a calorie reduction. You can also use an online calculator to calculate your calorie requirements.
Websites and app stores offer easy-to-use calorie counters that are free to download. Here is a list with five calorie counters.
Eating too many calories and being more harmful than necessary to lose weight is possible. Your doctor may recommend that you reduce calories healthily and sustainably.
A note on calorie counting
While counting calories can be helpful for some people, there might be better options for some.
Reach out to support if you are obsessed with food, your weight, guilt about your food choices, and engage in restrictive eating habits. These behaviors could indicate an unhealthy relationship with food or an eating disorder.
Talk to a registered healthcare professional, such as a dietitian, if you are having trouble.
Chat, call or send anonymously to the National Eating Disorders Association helpline. You can also explore the free and low-cost resources of the organization.
Low-carb eating plans don’t require you to count calories. Calorie counting might be a good option if you aren’t losing weight or following a low-calorie diet.
Nine weight loss tips
Here are nine additional tips to help you lose weight.
- Have a high-protein breakfast to help curb cravings—17Trusted
- Avoid sugary drinks and juice. They harm your health and can lead to weight gain.
- Keep hydrated.
- Select weight-loss-friendly food. Some foods work better than others for weight loss. Here’s a list of healthy, weight-loss-friendly foods.
- Get more fiber. Research shows that fiber can help you lose weight. Fiber can be found in whole grains, fruits and vegetables, seeds, and other high-fiber foods.
- Coffee or tea may increase your metabolism. These drinks can be enjoyed without caffeine, but it is important to avoid adding sugar.
- Your diet should be based on whole foods. Whole foods are more nutritious, filling, and less likely than processed food to cause excess weight gain.
- Take your time. Fast food can cause weight gain. Eating slowly will make you feel fuller and help reduce weight.
- Good quality sleep is essential for your health (27TrustedSource, 28TrustedSource, 29, 29).
These nine tips are great for weight loss. Reduce stress and move your body. Find out more natural ways to lose weight.
You can lose weight by eating whole foods with more protein and fiber. Get a good night of sleep.
Quick Weight Loss Recipe
These meal plans are low in carbs, meaning you can eat as few as 20-50 grams each day. Every meal should contain protein, healthy fats and vegetables. These suggestions are only suggestions, as people have different food preferences and needs.
You can lose weight and still eat complex carbs by adding whole grains.
- Whole wheat flour, bread, and pasta
- Brown rice
Ideas for breakfast
- Poached egg with sliced avocado, berries and a side
- Spinach, mushroom, and Feta crustless quiche
- Green Smoothie With spinach, avocado, nut milk, and a side dish of cottage cheese
- Unsweetened Greek yogurt with berries, almonds and sugar
- Smoked salmon with avocado and a side dish of asparagus
- lettuce wrap filled with grilled chicken and black beans, red peppers, and salsa
- Kale and spinach salad, grilled tofu, chickpeas and guacamole
- BLT wrap in celery sticks, peanut butter
Ideas for dinner
- Enchilada Salad with Chicken, Peppers, Avocado, and Other Spices
- Ground Turkey baked with Mushrooms, Onions, Peppers, and Cheese
- Antipasto Salad with white beans and asparagus, cucumbers, olive oils, and Parmesan
- Roasted cauliflower with tempeh and Brussels sprouts.
- Salmon baked with sesame oil and ginger.
- Cauliflower Hummus and Vegetables
- Healthy homemade trail mix containing nuts and dried fruits
- kale chips
- Cottage cheese with cinnamon flaxseeds
- Hot Roasted Chickpeas
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- tuna pouches
- steam edamame
- Brie and strawberries
How quickly can you lose weight?
The first week of a diet plan may be faster than the second. After that, you will lose weight slowly but more consistently. You will typically lose body fat and water weight in the first week.
Weight loss can be more rapid if you change your diet or exercise routines.
Usually, losing 1-2 pounds per semaine is a safe amount. Talk to your doctor if you want to lose weight quicker than that.
Although a low-carb diet may help you lose weight, it can also improve your health. However, the long-term effects of this diet are still unknown.
- Low-carb diets tend to have a significant impact on blood sugar levels.
- Triglycerides tend to decrease.
- LDL (bad cholesterol) goes down
- Blood pressure rises dramatically
Other diets that lower calories and increase whole food intake are associated with slower aging and improved metabolic markers. A balanced diet with complex carbohydrates is more sustainable.
You can reach your weight loss goals by incorporating a low-carb or low-calorie diet into your daily life. However, the pace of weight loss will depend on each individual.
Sometimes, weight loss can improve certain health indicators such as blood sugar or cholesterol.
Need help finding a primary doctor? Then check out our FindCare tool.
The bottom line
You’ll feel less hungry if you reduce carb intake or replace refined carbs with complex carbohydrates. It’s common to feel hungry when trying to lose weight. So it is important to find a way to eat that makes you satisfied.
You can still lose weight by eating healthy foods and using a low-carb or low-calorie diet.
While losing weight fast may seem like your goal, it is important to consider the long-term. Although you might lose weight quickly, fat loss can take longer and may be more difficult than you think.